A restorative filling is used to replace a missing part of a tooth. Some fillings are colored to match the surrounding teeth, so it looks like a natural tooth. These fillings are also used to repair a tooth that has been broken or chipped. This can help prevent further breakage and decay.
Types of Restorative Fillings
Tooth-colored fillings are a popular treatment option for patients of all ages. Composite fillings or tooth-colored fillings are often preferred for aesthetic reasons. They blend in seamlessly with the rest of your smile.
Inlays & Onlays
Inlays and onlays are restorative dental fillings that can restore strength and function to molars that have suffered from moderate decay. They are indirect fillings, custom-made to fit into or onto the tooth.
Silver fillings have been used for restorative dentistry for centuries. Silver amalgam fillings are a mixture of silver, copper, tin, and mercury. Mercury is important for the chemical reaction that makes the silver amalgam durable. They are time-tested and effective at preventing further decay in teeth.
These fillings are strong and durable. They are best suited to treat cavities in back teeth.
Porcelain fillings are also used for restoring teeth that have large cavities or areas of decay. The porcelain filling can be color-matched to your natural teeth, so your smile looks natural and healthy.
Gold fillings offer a high level of strength compared to other dental restorations. Because they are so strong, gold fillings are often a good choice for treating cavities in the back of the mouth where increased chewing pressure is exerted.
Benefits of Restorative Fillings
- Restorative fillings restore your smile by replacing decayed, broken, or missing teeth.
- They can preserve your natural bite by restoring your tooth's shape and structure, which allows your bite to function as it should.
- They can reduce tooth sensitivity.
- Restorative fillings can prevent further decay. They prevent bacteria from reaching the cavity, which protects your gums and jawbone.
- Fillings help strengthen weakened teeth.
- Fillings help restore damaged teeth, keeping the gums and teeth healthy.
At North Star Dental, we ensure to provide each of our patients with a positive and relaxing experience. If you're ready to experience the best dental care, please contact dentist in Albuquerque, NM at (505) 369-1881 or visit us at 9501 Paseo del Norte NE, Suite A, Albuquerque, NM 87122. We will be happy to guide you further.